Ok it’s official. I am the world’s worst blogger. I guess I have a lot of things working against me. It started with a website crash which required my IT guy (aka my spouse) to re-publish everything. Followed by a lot of things on my plate including civic engagement (I joined a city commission and publish a very informal voter’s guide every year), starting a new side-gig as a group fitness instructor, and planning my wedding reception (the getting married part was way easier).
So, while I can assure you that I do in fact find time to EAT every day, I have found less time to write about it.
But, here is a quick and easy one that is as simple to write about as it is to make!
Pizza is a go-to in my household. It’s cheap, easy and a real crowd-pleaser for my glutinous friends. You can match this sausage with my homemade pepperoni and some basic veggies for a more wholesome, vegan version of the “supreme” pizza classic.
Makes about 1 cup
- ½ cup Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP)*
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tsp oil
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp minced fresh garlic or ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the TVP and water in a small saucepan. Bring the water to a boil, and cook the TVP until it is soft. This should not take very long, maybe 2 minutes.
- When the TVP is soft, reduce the heat to simmer off any excess water (you can also strain with a colander if you are in a rush). Stir in the spices.
- In a separate medium frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Fry the TVP mixture in the oil until it is slightly browned. (For a more crispy sausage, you can add more oil as needed and fry until it reaches your desired level of crispiness!)
Yum! You now have a sausage mix that can be used to top pizzas, fill savory pies and turnovers, serve as a breakfast side or whatever you like to do with ground veggie sausage!
* You can find TVP in the bulk section of most natural food stores as well as occasionally at Mexican/Latinx markets.